This is by far the strangest discovery I’ve heard about in the animal kingdom in quite some time. I apologize for the blushes I’m sure you’re all experiencing right now but this ‘penis ( dick ) snake,’ as its been dubbed on the internetz, was just too good not to post.
This slithering purple creature – which isn’t a actually a snake at all – is a species of caecilian, a limbless amphibian that resembles a giant earthworm (among other things as it turns out). Biologist Julian Tapan identified it as Atretochoana eiselti. The phallic thing was discovered when workers were draining a portion of the Madeira River — a major tributary of the Amazon — for a controversial hydroelectric project. In fact, six were found. THANK GOD!
Little to nothing is known about this species but it is though to be aquatic and lacks lungs, instead opting to breathe through its skin. They have very poor eyesight and rely mainly on smell to get around. Oh, and ladies these guys get to be 30 inches in length. Be sure to book your tickets to the Amazon quickly.
Shame on you. photo by © Matt Roper
Get lost in the moment. #bennybenassi #operanightclub #edm #plur #kandi #kandikuties #bhn #indian #headdress @edmlifestyle @official_edm_beauties (at Opera Nightclub)
Will you stop posting your heinous pictures in the indian tag?
An Open Letter to Non-Natives in Headdresses
But Why Can’t I Wear a Hipster Headdress?
My Identity Is Not A Costume for You To Wear!
On why prancing around in a headdress and war paint isn’t ~appreciating~ “native culture”
|—||Sappho (via erraticintrovert)|
GIF - Sebastien Tellier
Thank you fabulouslyfreespirited for giving me the artist’s name for this wonderful GIF.
This week at the bookstore! So many things! And next week we have a full lineup of BEA amazingness, prepare ye. Want to stay updated? Be sure you sign up for our newsletter.
- Tonight, we welcome the MothSHOP Community Education Showcase, a night of stories from this season’s Moth workshops in high schools and marginalized communities. The store won’t close, and the event is $5 suggested donation, so come check out some of the amazing work the Moth does teaching folks how to tell their stories.
- Tomorrow we have another storytelling event: Native Tongue, a celebration of the Islamic storytelling tradition with American Muslims’ stories of heartache. Free, 7PM.
- Wednesday we celebrate the new literary zombie — yup, zombie — novel from Two Dollar Radio,A Questionable Shape, with author Bennett Sims as well as Fiona Maazel and Benjamin Hale. Free, 7PM.
- Thursday the Moth StorySLAM presents a special Internet Week NYC edition with the theme “Technology,” hosted by Dan Kennedy. The store will close at 6PM, doors at 7PM, $8 cover at the door. Get in line early, it always sells out!
- And Friday is the last Slush Pile of the season (and the last Friday before summer hours start kicking in!). Join us for great specials in the cafe and kick off your weekend.
- Freedom isn’t free, but the whole store will be 30% off on Monday, May 27 in celebration of Memorial Day.
So important to remember! When the hot weather hits, wear whatever makes you feel the most comfortable!
Argentina JUST PASSED a groundbreaking gender identity bill!!!
From now on, people will be able to change the name and gender on their ID without needing psychiatric permission or any body modifications. Furthermore, anyone who does want hormones or surgery will be able to access them for free through the public and private health system.
It was passed unanimously today by the Senate
Argentina is just getting more awesome by the year. Countries that aren’t Argentina need to take note.
sigh. y so behind, US?